Charitable Remainder Trust
A Charitable Remainder Trust is a unique gift and estate-planning vehicle. It's a split interest trust, which means it has a current beneficiary (or multiple beneficiaries) who receives a cash flow for life (or a period of years). One or more remainder beneficiaries (the charities) that will receive the principal of the trust after death of the current beneficiaries or when the term ends.
As the donor of a Charitable Remainder Trust, you receive significant benefits, including:
- Current income tax charitable deduction.
- Increase in annual cash flow.
- Avoid the capital gain tax in selling appreciated assets, making the full value of the assets available for income generation.
- Allowing diversification of the full value of the proceeds.
- Possible reduction of estate tax at the death of the donor.